So it has taken me a long time to write since my last post. Just over a month, actually. It’s been a long month after all; getting settled into my new college life. I’ve met a bunch of people, joined a lot of clubs, done so much paperwork, and filled out so many applications. Woo! It has certainly been crazy. But it wasn’t just the lack of time that’s been keeping from this blog. It’s also that I just haven’t been sure exactly how I wanted to run this blog. I want to provide insight into my own path for myself and for anyone that wants to follow in my footsteps.
As Emerson said, “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” That’s something to keep in mind as you or I continue to read these passages I am writing. But at the same time, it’s important to learn from the past and from others who have walked similar paths. Or even just for insight into an industry or a culture or a person at large. As Newton and many others have proposed and re-proposed and rephrased, “We stand on the shoulders of giants.”
There has been some laziness involved. I won’t lie. But at the same time, I am not sure what format I’ve been wanting to write. So I’ve been trying to distinguish different problems that I’ve been trying to approach with my blog.
Here are some of them:
- I want to provide an ample exploration of thematic topics in an essay-like narrative explaining my position and my experiences.
- I want to provide insight into my everyday ongoing and the things that have been going on in my life. That way people that I know and people that I don’t know can follow my tale and happenings.
- I want to provide a source of information that provides my opinion on specific topics. Unlike the first problem that I want to address, this will be less generalized and more about certain products or events.
These are topics that I wish to discuss and my goal is to discuss them throughout this blog over at least the next four years. So far I think that I will start with these three problems and have four distinct categories of writing to approach them.
- The “Open Up Discussion” category. “EXPersuasion ~ A series of persuasive writings on thematic and general topics such as innovation, blogging, etc. based on my experiences. These are meant to try and convince or open up your mind to my take on certain things such as diversity of women in video games (which I plan to write later).
- The “My Journey” category. “My Game Story:” ~ Insights into my life and my journey to become AnotherGameDesigner.
- The “Stuff I Want To Talk About” category. “On:” ~ A series of writings on more specific topics such as my blog, a specific game, or events in the news. Impressions, thoughts, etc. that show my experience of a topic without neccesarily forming a position (though I may have opinions) An example would be my upcoming post on USC. It’s a story of my experience of USC, but unlike EXPersuasion, I really have no reason to try and convince you of any particular opinion on USC. We’ll get to that later though.
- The “Whatever” category. “New Game+” ~ Anything miscellaneous that falls outside the above sections including pictures, project files, outside news links and such.
I think it’s very important to start off strong and structured. For this reason, if anyone out there feels that there is a more appropriate name or that the names of these sections are too confusing, let me know. They are subject to change, but for the time being for the sake of writing, this is how they will remain for some time. I might combine On and EXPersuasion later on for the sake of simplicity but there are slightly different so I’ll leave it until it becomes a problem.
Other goals include making sure that I am writing at least once a week in one of the above topics.
I will start each article with an abstract in italics to clarify during each writing what is going on each writing. Normally, they will appear at the top, but for the sake of this writing, I’ll provide it below for context and example.
An “On” article discussing the specific topic of this blog, my goals for it, and how it will function. I wish to discuss this to further explain how this blog will work with reason with both the myself and the reader in mind.
I will from this point start working on writing about things that I have experience in the last month and onward so look forward to it all everyone!